Arnoud Schuurman’s attempt to incorporate art in public space drives him to seek boundaries of experimental possibilities.
‘I look constantly to renew a synergy of media and techniques. By this I get ideas that evolves into something refreshing. To visualize something immaterial such as time and space, light and darkness in an object or entity on itself, is for me the ultimate goal.
Mostly I look to plan my ideas for an application in public space. I find this aspect of our surrounding environment exciting, there evolves for a public art project the possibility to come in touch with a public that is not necessarily out for being confronted with an artwork. I would like my installations to spin off a dialogue with the surrounding environment and architecture. Herein the work generates in its presence with existing surroundings a confronting imaginative force and is contact with public spontaneously and inevitable.
He lives and works in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He has exhibited and worked on various public art projects in The Netherlands and various other countries. Amongst them are: Canada, Mexico, Portugal, Cyprus, Belgium, Serbia and Montenegro.
- Master class: How unique is a city? By Architect R. Yamamoto / Nai
- Student exchange with Vancouver at Emily Carr Institute, Canada
- Willem De Kooning Academy, R’dam - Visual Art department
- Urban Vitrine. Waterloostraat, Rotterdam
- Structures of Interferente. Casa de la cultura Morelia, Mexico
- Urban Field. Project space Morgen, Rotterdam
- Found Objects. Gallery Keller, The Hague
- Composites.Patterns.Outcomes. Voorburgstraat Studios, Rotterdam
- Noise-incident. Noise of Coincidence. Yuart Biënale Vrsac, Serbia&Montenegro
- Accidentes Coordinados. Observatorio Morelia, Mexico
- Out of Line. UN-bufferzone between Rep. Cyprus - TKKC
- Endless sequence no. 5. Trans_Hábitos from Rotterdam/ MORGEN. Interdisciplinair festival in Porto
- Descubrir de Europa. NOC project 5.0 Morelia, Mexico
- Noiseobsession’ presentation 3.3. Noise of Coincidence in Nicoisia, CY
- Send Documents. STROOM, The Hague
- Whats happening. CuCoSa, Rotterdam
- Doormat of the Law. Art tour Rotterdam, City Hall
- Perpetuem Mobile. Kunsthal Rotterdam
- A hot Welcome. Entrance academy, Rotterdam
- Endless Sequence no. 2. Port Coquitlam City Hall, Canada
- Commissions and public art
- Port in the Picture. Katendrecht - Rotterdam
- Shadow Monument. Vosmaerstraat, Rotterdam
- Shadow monument. Polderweg, Amsterdam
- Noisecrossings. Block area-green line-Nicosia, Cyprus
- Spy mirror Monitoring. Witte de Withstraat, Part of the Art Express route in Rotterdam
- Sketch proposal for a work in the new Luxor theatre, Rotterdam
- Confrontation Mirror. A semi-permanent work in Metro station Blaak. Commissioned by RET, Rotterdam
- Tidal Bed. Public space-project, Vancouver
- Metro-Shelter. Surbröt, Belgium
- Robert Wilson's Watermill Center International Summer Arts
- Program,Long Island, NY - UNESCO Aschberg bursary and The Netherlands Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architecture.
- Internship Edad de Bronce. Morelia, Mexico. CBK Rotterdam bursary